History
logo90pxhigh
Links House, 13 The Links, St Andrews, Fife, KY16 9JB
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.Tel: 01334 479799This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.Links House, St Andrews KY16 9JB


Our History Timeline

SCROLL DOWN TO EXPLORE

ALL IMAGES © THE ST ANDREWS GOLF CLUB. THESE IMAGES MAY NOT BE REPRODUCED, COPIED OR TRANSMITTED
WITHOUT WRITTEN PERMISSION.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1847

 


Competition Beginnings

In 1847 the first formal Club competition was held on New Year’s Day 1847, a traditional holiday in Scotland, the following year in 1848 the New Year’s Day event was typical. 'During the day the Mechanics’ Golf Club played for their several prizes, and the first was won by George Morris at 109 strokes very good play in any circumstances, but most extraordinary with the Links coveredsome inches with snow. The instrumental band, after perambulating the streets in their very handsome uniform, played up the Club to Hastie’s Cross Keys, where they dined, and spent the evening with toast and song.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1852

 


Historic First

The first ever competition held under the name of the St Andrews Golf Club was reported in the Fifeshire Journal 8th January 1852, ‘St Andrews Golf Club – The half yearly competition of this society, (formerly called the Mechanics’ Golf Club) took place, as usual, on New Year’s Day.

1852 

 


Railway Links

In 1852 the railway reached St Andrews. The line, which linked into the developing rail network at Leuchars, was designed by Thomas Bouch, later Sir Thomas, the man who was to design the original Tay Rail Bridge which collapsed as a train crossed it during a storm on the night of 28th December 1879.

 

1853

 

1853

Captain Change

At the AGM on Friday 15th September 1853 James Howie retired as Captain and was succeeded in the post by Allan Robertson the most distinguished golfer to hold the captaincy in the history of the Club. The Fifeshire Journal of 22nd September 1853 reported that, ‘St Andrews Golf Club, formerly styled ‘The Mechanics’ Golf Club’-At the annual business meeting of this Society on Friday last, Mr Allan Robertson was unanimously elected Captain for the ensuing year, successor to Mr James Howie, who retired from office.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1863

 


Prince & Captain

The Prince of Wales had been installed as Captain of the R&A and Robert Forgan a member of the St Andrews Golf Club had been commissioned to make a set of golf clubs for presentation to him. He was granted a Royal Warrant as Club maker to Prince of Wales thereafter the "Prince of Wales" feathers were stamped on the company's clubs, changing to a crown when the Prince ascended to the throne as King Edward VII.

 

 

 

 

1873

 

1873

Friendly Relations

A band of Gypsies arrived in St Andrews led by the Gypsy King Mr Thomas Reynolds of Norfolk . It was reported that “Their dignified behaviour, cleanliness and apparent respectability have already established themin good graces with the inhabitants of the town”. The friendly relations were cemented when the “Gypsy King” Mr Thomas Reynolds oered the gift of a timepiece to be played for by members of the St Andrews and Rose Golf Club. The winner was Mr William Ayton.

 

 

 

 

 

1875


 

Goodbye Tommy

“Young Tom” Tommy Morris was tragically found dead in his bed on Christmas morning by his father aged only 24.

1843

Entrance to the club

The Club is Formed

Sometime about the year 1843 certain zealous and energetic spirits conceived the idea of forming themselves into a Club to encourage the game of golf, and to foster a social and friendly spirit with one another.

1848

1848

Handicap Introduction

In 1848 The Club welcomed players of all abilities but though the golf professionals Allan Robertson and Tom Morris did not participate in competitions, less proficient golfers had no chance of winning the medal as it was played for from scratch. There must have been some discussion regarding this for at the meeting on 3rd June 1848 it was agreed that handicaps would be given in all future competitions starting with the next half-yearly medal and a committee was set up to fix handicaps in conjunction with the ordinary committee.

The first medal with handicaps given was held on 30th June 1848.
 

1852

Flying The Flag

Later that month the long awaited flag, which had been proposed as far back as 1848, finally appeared. At a special meeting of the Club held on 23rd January 1852 in the Town Hall, which at the time stood in Market Street where the Whyte Melville Fountain now stands, ‘a considerablenumber of the members, accompanied by their wives and friends being present-the Captain presiding-the Captain stated the object of the meeting, which was in honour of the ladies for giving the Club the flag, and after some fitting remarks he begged to propose a toast to the ladies, which the Secretary, David Thomson, replied to in name of the ladies present, and then handed the flag over to the care of the Captain. After a most agreeable night of harmony the meeting broke up. The flag measured nine feet by six feet, and on a white ground there were in the four corners, a Union Jack, a Scotch Thistle, a Lion Rampant, and St Andrew supporting the Cross. In the centre crossed clubs and balls in blue.

1853

Increased Tourism

The coming of the railway had a huge impact on St Andrews increasing its accessibility and consequently its development as a Victorian holiday resort which, in turn, meant an increase in the demands placed on the links. The railway skirted the west side of the links to reach its terminus on the site of what is now the Old Course Hotel where The Jigger Inn, formerly the Station Master’s house, is the only reminder of its existence.

1858

1858

Allan Robertson

On 15th September 1858, Allan Robertson, playing with Mr Bethune of Blebo, completed his round of the links in 79 and became the first player to break 80. Tragically within a year Allan, a stalwart member of the Club from its early days, was dead. It was reported that ‘In the Spring, Allan had an attack of jaundice, proceeding, we believe, from an abnormal state of the liver. He never rallied, and after six months’ weakness, he gradually sunk and died on the first of September. God rest him. He was forty four years old.

1864

1864

Tom Returns

Concern over the state of the links at St Andrews following the death of Allan Robertson led to Tom being headhunted by the R&A to come back to his home town ‘on the understanding that he shall have theentire charge of the golf course and be responsible for it being kept in proper order’ with a salary of £50 a year. His return was welcomed in the Fifeshire Journal 24th November 1864 ‘The green is in excellent condition, and many gentlemen are daily practising their favourite game.

1873

First Club Match

The Club played its first match against Carnoustie. This match is now known as the Lindsay Shield.

 

1875

1875

David Todd

In November the Clubs first Captain passed away at his home in South Street from apoplexy at the age of 57.



 

1878

1878

Tommy Morris Tribute

The golfing world paid tribute to the memory of Tommy Morris. Several hundred people made their way to the Cathedral Cemetery where the distinctive memorial Stone was unveiled by MissPhelps on behalf of Mrs Hunter Tommy's only sister. Underneath the figure is the following inscription, composed by Principal Tulloch: In memory of Tommy, son of Thomas Morris, who died 25th December 1875 aged 24 years, deeply regretted by numerous friends and all golfers. He thrice in succession won the Champion Belt, and held it without rivalry, and yet without envy, his many amiable qualities being no less acknowledged than his golfing achievements. This monument has been erected by contributors from sixty golfing societies.

 

 

1882

1882

 

 

 

1894

 


Mr William Ayton

On 13th December 1894 a venerable stalwart of the club Mr William Ayton was made a life member of the Club and that all club competitions shall in future be made open to him if he so wished.

1897

 

1897

County Challenge

The club participated in a match perhaps unique in the annals of golf when it took on a county in a match. The challenge came inthe form of a letter from Monifieth Club for Forfarshire to play the St Andrews Golf Club home and away with 25 players each a match to be played in single scratch matches. To understand the task set The St Andrews Golf Club had a membership of 94 members and Forfarshire had 23 clubs and about 4000 players to choose from. The first match took place at Monifieth on 19th June and the return match 7th August. After the match both teams dined and a pleasant hour was spent. Over the two matches The St Andrews Club won by a notable score 123 holes to 30 holes.

1901

 


Tait Memorial Medal 

The first competition of the Tait memorial medal. Since then the members of the St Andrews Golf Club have won this medal more than those of any other Club.

 

 

1902

 


1902

The Hugon Cup

Victoria was succeeded by her son Edward whose coronation took place in 1902 to commemorate this event it was agreed to get up a subscription list for the coronation cup. In the end a Mr Hugon provided the cup and he give it to be the property of the club. The cup was called the Hugon Cup and the first winner was Joseph Mackie.

 

 

 

1890

1890

R&A Gold Medal 

Alexander “Sandy” Herd became the first winner of the R&A gold Medal in May. He was born in North Street, had been a member of the club from March 1886 and was a staunch supporter of the club all hislife. He got his first job in golf when he was appointed Club professional at Royal Portrush Country Antrim and he was their first professional.

1900

Lieutenant Freddy 

The new century had barely begun when news reached St Andrews that Lieutenant FG “Freddy” Tait (Black Watch) had been killed in action on 7th February. A member of the R&A . Such was the esteem in which he was held throughout the golfing community that the committee of the St Andrews Golf Club contributed to the Memorial fund organised by the R&A. The memorial took the form of a medal to be played for annually by members of the mens clubs in St Andrews and became the unocial matchplay championship of St Andrews.

1901

The End of an Era

On 22nd January the Victoria age came to an end when Queen Victoria passed away. A few months later another era, less momentous but nevertheless significant in the history of the Club the Carnoustie Golf Club defeated the St Andrews Golf Club for the first time.

1902

1902b

Championship First

Alexander “Sandy” Herd won the Open Championship at Royal Liverpool the first time a player had used a haskell ball.

 

 

 

 

 

 

1903

1903

Diamond Jubilee Medal

Sum of £7.10 is set aside from the subscription fund to provide a proposed Diamond Jubilee Medal.

 

 

1905

1905

1905

 



A New Home

The Long saga of the search for a Club House came to an end. At a special meeting held on 16th February about a property coming unto the market in Golf Place, the property committee duty met on 2nd March to consider acquiring the property as a club house. At a special meeting on 14th March it was agreed to pursue and purchase and on the 20th March came the words the members had waited to hear for over fifty years “This day the property in Kirk Place was acquired by the Club at the price of £800. Thereafter the Club met in the Clubhouse. The first drink order recorded was for a whisky it was unanimously agreed that an order for a 10 gallon cask of “OH” quality should be placed with John Walker Kilmarnock.

1908

 

1908

The Last Link

The last link with the very earliest days of the Club was broken with the death of Old Tom Morris on 24th May. He had wandered along to the new club (of which he was an honorary member) about four o'clock in the afternoon to chat with some friends. A few minutes after his arrival he left the club-room, and almost immediately the noise of someone falling was heard from the vicinity of the passage. Old Tom was found in an unconscious condition at the foot of the cellar stair. he was examined by Doctor Paton, who found that the base of the skull had been severely injured. At the cottage Hospital he passed away a few minutes after being admitted.

1910

 

1910b

Guy Campbell Cup

The Club cam into possession of a new trophy when Mr Guy C Campbell intimated that he intended gifting the Club with a medal and Cup. The committee agreed as to the name of the medal and suggested that the Cup be called the Guy Campbell Cup. The medal was to commemorate the Coronation of Geroge V Edward VII who died 6th may 1910. Later that same year the Club was gifted another trophy when a letter was sent from Captain Roland Haig asking the committee to accept a silver Cup.

 

 

 

 

1915

 



The Supreme Sacrifice

By July 1915 it was intimated that over 40 members of the Club were at present serving in the army and navy. The end of the war came at 11am on 11th November 1918 when the Armistice came into force. The war had cost the lives of 140,000 Scots, and millions worldwide. At the outbreak of the war there were 141 names on the membership roll, and of that 80 had been serving with the colours either in the navy or army. Seven members had made the supreme sacrifice.

 

 

1906

1906

Amateur Champion

James Robb brought honour to the Club when he won the Amateur Championship.
 

 

 

 

 

 

1910

1910

A Fitting Tribute

Following Old Toms death in 1908 a memorial fund was set up and completed in September 1910 from subscriptions from golf clubs around the world. A bronze medallion of a bust of Old Tom was placed on the west gable of the R&A clubhouse.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1914

1914

Troubled Times

A fourth course was opened on the Links on 2nd July 1914. Following the opening ceremony a match between the “townsmen and the R&A members took place the precursor of the annual R&A V Town match. While this happy event was taking place the incident which led to World War I had already occurred.

Inter club matches were put on hold.

 

 

 

 

1919

Tradition Returns

The long standing inter club matches with Carnoustie and Leven Thistle were reinstated.

 

1919

1919

 

 

1921

 

1921

Jock Hutchinson

On 8th March it is agreed as in 1910 to extend the courtesy of the Club to players in the Open Championship.  Among the professionals in St Andrews for the Open was Jock Hutchison. After the final round Hutchison was in a tie on 296 with Mr R.H. Weathered, the thirty six hole play off was something of an anti climax Hutchison finishing nine shots ahead of his opponent. Hutchison who died in 1977, became an Honorary Vice-president of the St Andrews Golf Club to which he presented the Jock Hutchison Trophy in 1935.

VIEW MORE

1923

 


Club Symbol

In the 1920s the Club Badge came into being. In 1923 it was also arranged to get a Club Flag.

1920

1920

Charles Grieve

A new trophy came into the possession of the club in August 1920 when a letter from Mrs Kilgour of the late Mr Charles Grieve offering a present a Cup to the Club in memory of her late father to be called the “Charles Grieve Cup”.

1923

1923

Boys Championship

In March this year it was decided to run a local Boys Golf Championship in connection with the St Andrews Golf Club. In June it was reported that the Boys Championship organised by St Andrews Golf Club was a very successful event and 49 boys had played. It was won by W.Auchterlonie with a brilliant 79.

1923

1923b

1925

 

1925

United Services

In 1925 a letter was received from Mr Geo.  Bayne the secretary of the St Andrews United Services Association asking the St Andrews Golf Club would accept custody of their Silver Cup and run a competition. The Cup was to be known as the United Services memorial Cup.

 

1927

 

 
 

Club Flourishing

At the AGM on 24th February 1927 the Secretary and Treasurers Report showed the Club to be in a very flourishing condition with 535 member.

1931

 

1931

A New Clubhouse

During 1931 the General Committee made a brave and audacious move to secure a new Clubhouse, Links House in its prestigious location overlooking the eighteenth green on the Old Course. On 4th August a letter was read from Mr Cantley intimating that the offer of £2700 for Links House had been duly accepted. On Thursday 25th August the members held an EGM to confirm the action of the General Committee in purchasing Links House.

 

 

 

1925

1925b

Life Members

It was decided that all members of the St Andrews Golf Club who have been members for 40 years should automatically become a life members
 
 
 
 

 

 

1930

1930

Club Championship

W.S.Thomson suggested that a Club Championship be instituted. The Secretary intimated he had had an interview with Mr Denys Kyle who informed him that his mother would like the Club to accept a Cup in Commemoration of Dr Kyle who had been an Honorary Vice President of the Club. The winner of the first Club Championship was Laurie Auchterlonie.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1931

1931b

1933

1933

 

 

 

1937

 

1937

The James Stewart Coronation Cup

the Captain introduced Mr James Stewart and Mr John Macdonald  for the presentation of the Cups which they had presented to the Club. Mr Stewarts Cup to be known as the Stewart Coronation Cup and Mr Macdonalds as the Seniors Cup.

VIEW MORE IMAGES

 

1939

 


Return of The Open

The Open was held once again in St Andrews in 1939, this was the last Open Championship for seven years for two months later on 3rd September 1939, Britain declared war on Germany. At the start of the General Committee meeting on 11th September eight days after war was declared the Captain made reference to the outbreak of war, he had arranged to keep the following medals in the safe during the war:- Scratch and Handicap Medals, Aggregate, Monthly, R&A and F.G. Tait, Boys Championship  and Captains Chain. It was arranged to print a full fixture list, less inter-club matches and to carry on competitions as far as possible. 

 

1935

1935

A Kept Promise

In December 1935 a letter dated 15th November from Joch Hutchison intimating that the cup which he had promised the Club for competition was now ready for despatch. Also included was an autographed portrait of himself for the Club.

VIEW MORE IMAGES

1938

1938

New Club Badge

In September that year the Club decided on a new Club Badge.

1939

A Successful Decade

The end of the decade dawned the Club could reflect with some satisfaction that it had survived the worst economic recession in history to that date and come out the other side not only with a higher membership but also with a prestigious new Clubhouse.

1943

1943

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1946

 

1946

A Long Connection

In October 1946 the club received a trophy from the family of Mr LB Ayton to commemorate the long connection of the family with the Club since its inception. In April 1947 the Ayton Trophy which had been gifted by Alex Ayton was presented to the Club

 

1949

 


Subscription Landmark

In 1949 the subscriptions paid totaled 1013, this was the first time the club had broken the 1000 member barrier.

 

 

 

 

1951

 

1951

Prince & Captain

The Prince of Wales had been installed as Captain of the R&A and Robert Forgan a member of the St Andrews Golf Club had been commissioned to make a set of golf clubs for presentation to him. He was granted a Royal Warrant as Club maker to Prince of Wales thereafter the "Prince of Wales" feathers were stamped on the company's clubs, changing to a crown when the Prince ascended to the throne as King Edward VII.

1953

 

1953b

James Lindsay Trophy

Moves began with a view to procuring a trophy for the inter-club matches between the St Andrews, Carnoustie and Leven Thistle clubs. At the AGM in 1953 ‘This beautiful trophy presented to the club by the family of the late James Lindsay was on view.  It will be competed for annually in the triangular contest between St Andrews, Leven Thistle and Carnoustie Golf Clubs.  In 1953 St Andrews defeated Carnoustie, as a result the Club became the first holders of the James Lindsay Memorial Trophy.  Mr Lindsay had been a golf professional from St Andrews and was the father of Mr J.L. Lindsay who had captained the University Golf Club.

1943

1943b

Centenary and Victory

By 1943 the tide of the war had begun to turn. In March 1943 just before the AGM the Captain intimated that the following telegram had been received from Mr Philp at Gibraltar “heartiest congratulations centenary”

Our centenary this year (1943) required to be put off until later, when it would be a Centenary and Victory function. At the AGM 8th march 1945 it was stated Your Committee is glad that we are now able to look forward to the return of our members presently in the Forces...

 

1947

1947

Golfing History

A piece of golf history came into the hands of the Club in June 1947 when the Secretary reported that Mr Jack White had very kindly offered to send us for our Trophy Case the Haskell Ball with which he had won the 1904 Open.  This was the first time that the 300 strokes had been broken - 296.

1950


Hollywood Star

The following year the Amateur Championship was played on the Old Course, one of the biggest Hollywood stars of that era, Bing Crosby, where his opponent in the first round was to be James K (JK) Wilson of the St Andrews Golf Club.  Next day was cold, grey, and threatened rain as a huge gallery some three thousand strong packed the area around the first fairway to watch the two men tee-off JK Wilson won to the match by 3 and 2, though they continued to play to the 18th for the sake of the crowd.  The chance pairing in the championship led to a lifelong friendship between Bing and JK and when Bing, an elected member of the R & A in 1951, visited St Andrews in 1971 he played a round on the Old Course in the company of JK.  After lunch in the R & A they retired to the St Andrew Golf Club as guests of JK, a Past Captain, while there Bing intimated he would be interested in presenting a trophy for competition for golfers over the age of sixty who where member of St Andrews’ Golf Clubs.  The inaugural Bing Crosby Trophy took place in September 1972 with Bing present for the occasion.

1953

1953

The Coronation Medal

King Georg VI had died in February 1952, the Club made preparations for a competition to mark the assent of his daughter Elizabeth to the throne on 2nd June 1953.  In July 1952 ‘The secretary reported that Mr Forbes, jeweller, Market Street, had offered the Club a golf medal (9carat) for £5, it was decided to purchase this medal and that it should be played for on Coronation Day 1953 in conjunction with the Coronation Cup

1958

1958

1964

1964

1970

 

1970

Robert ‘Bob’ Thomson

The 1970s saw of a run of success in both Scottish and British Police Championships by Robert ‘Bob’ Thomson. He joined the Club in 1960 and went on to win the Club Championship five times between 1969 and 2007.

 

1975

 

 

1975

A Year of Gifts

Was the year for trophies to be presented to the Club. Mrs G.C Auchterlonie supplied a trophy for the John F. Auchterlonie Memorial Trophy which would be played for annual for the Club Junior Championship.
The Hamada Trophy was gifted by Zenya Hamada from Japan made from a very fine Norwegian pewter. He had gifted £100000 in 1973 to be used by the benefit of the town.
The Rotary International Golf Committee presented a cup for an annual competition between the New Golf Club and ourselves. By mutual agreement with Monifieth a slaver engraved with both club badges was played for firstly in 1976

 

1984

 

1984

Musselburgh Salver

In 1984 two members Mr A. Smith and Mr I.Highley donated a Silver Salver to the Club for the winners of the mixed foursomes which was named The Musselburgh Salver.

 

1984

 

 

1984b 

Captains Trophy

A trophy provided by the Club was re-introduced in 1987 it was named the Captains Trophy and was played for as a four ball (better-ball) stroke play competition.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1988

 

 

New Technology

First Badge for the Honorary President of the Club.

 

1990

 

 

Memorial Trophy

Mrs Alex Fairlie had expressed a wish to present a Memorial Trophy to the Club as her husband had died on the course during a monthly medal. The competition for the trophy was for seniors and this was agreed.

 

1991

 


Changes

The post of Honorary Secretary disappeared.

 

1993

 

1993

John Cairns Painting

John Cairns a club member and former art teacher painted a portrait of the Clubs first Captain, David Todd to be hung in the entrance hall of the Clubhouse. The Royal Burgh of St Andrews Community Council presented a specially commissioned 150th Flag to the Club on 27th March.

 

 

 

1994

 

 

Dr Duncan Lawrie

Dr Duncan Lawrie became the first member of the Club to win the Scottish Seniors title and his son Philip made it a special year for the family when he won the Club Championship.

 

 

 

 

 

1998

 


Membership Milestone

Club membership climbed above 2000 for the first time in its history.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

2003

 

2003

Lindsay Shield

2003 would be the 50th anniversary of the Lindsay Shield being introduced as a trophy for the annual match against Carnousite and Leven Thistle Golf Clubs. A special commemorative medal was struck. The Captain made a special presentation of a hand engraved glass to Alastair Johnston who had played in both the inaugural and 50th anniversary matches.

 

2004

 


Scottish Boys Champion

F.McL. Ogston became the first member of the club to win the Scottish Boys under 14 stroke play Championship.

 

 

1971

Success

In 1971 the Walker Cup Team Captained by Bonallack was Scott Macdonald a very young, successful member of the St Andrews Golf Club. Scott’s distinguished record was crowned by his selection to represent Great Britain versus United States.

1974

1974

The University Match

In 1974 the Ian Ritchie Memorial Trophy was presented for an annual competition between the St Andrews Golf Club and the University of St Andrews Golf Club. The inaugural match took place on 25th October 1975.

1978

1978

Jack Nicklaus

1978 saw the first player inducted as an Honorary Member since Bobby Jones in 1958 that being Jack Nicklaus a letter of acceptance was received on 4th July 1978. At the end of the second round in the Open Championship Jack went straight to the Golf Club to be presented with his scroll, Nicklaus went on to win the Open that year becoming the first member to win golfs oldest major since Jock Hutchison in 1921. In that Open John Richardson a member of the St Andrews Golf Club finished tied 16th which put his name in the headlined and a toast of the Club.

 

 

 

 

1985

1985

W.J.M. Lamond

Mr W.J.M. Lamond, a highly respected member, long serving Honorary Treasurer of the Club and later Honorary President, died suddenly on 12th January. His family decided to present a trophy to the Club in his memory, the trophy to be presented as the Club Championship Silver Section open to second class players only.

1987

New Technology

First Computer used in the Club to help with the running of the members handicaps.

1990

Sasaki SSK

Club gifted a trophy from messrs Mizukami and Goda of the Haseko Corporation of Japan and it was called the Sasaki SSK Trophy.

1990

Honorary Member

At AGM November 1990 the Captain informed the meeting that the committee proposed that Mr Michael F. Bonallack OBE, secretary of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club, be elected Honorary Member of St Andrews Golf Club. The meeting gave their hearty approval of the recommendation.

 

1993

150 Year Anniversary

The Club celebrated its 150 anniversary and the hard work put in by the 150th committee over the years from its first meeting in 1987 ensured a wide ranging programme of events was in place to celebrate the event.  Principle among these were a moonlight match played over the Old Course on 28th June. One hundred and fifty members of the Club played against golfers representing every golf club in Fife and Clubs which the Club had a long association. The match was won by St Andrews.

 

 

1993

1993b

Burlington Slate 

1993 The Burlington Slate was first played for.

 

 

 

 

1995

1995

Akitsubara Golf Club

The Club entered into an informal association with Akitsubara Golf Club a new Japanese Golf Club near Osaka.
VIEW MORE

1999

Honorary Member

1999 6th October Mr Paul Lawrie having previously agreed to accept the invitation, visited the Club. In the presence of a large number of members including Sir Michael Bonallack to be presented with a scroll by the Captain signifying receiving Honorary Membership of the Club.

2004

R&A 50th Anniversary

The R&A celebrated its 250th anniversary and on 10th September 2004 the St Andrews Golf Club hosted a double Celebratory Dinner in recognition of the 125th anniversary of Jamie Anderson winning the Open at St Andrews in 1879 by which he became the first golfer to win three consecutive Open Championships each on a different course and of the 250th anniversary of the founding of the R&A.

 

 

 

2006

Honorary Professional

Club Member Jim Farmer a distinguished teaching Professional was appointed Honorary Professional to the R&A. 

2009

Under 14 Open Winner

E.S.Scott won the English Boys Under 14 Open.

2011

2011

 

 

 


 

2014

2014

Cast in Bronze

The Club committee provided two trophies. Cast in bronze, they depict two of the club’s most seminal and respected 19th century characters who helped shape the sport in St Andrews and forge the town’s indisputable reputation as the home of golf. The stunning 17 inch-high mounted portrait figures of David Todd the first Captain and Allan Robertson the first professional. The David Todd Trophy will go to the leading handicap qualifier in the “Jock Hutch” and the Allan Robertson Trophy will be awarded to the leading two-round scratch qualifier in the Club Championship.
Armed initially with only with the grainy, monochrome images of the duo – photographic studio poses from the 1850s Angela Hunter the Sculptress set about her task. The end result are two of the most fantastic trophies anywhere in the world to be awarded for amateur golf

1843

Entrance to the club

The Club is Formed

Sometime about the year 1843 certain zealous and energetic spirits conceived the idea of forming themselves into a Club to encourage the game of golf, and to foster a social and friendly spirit with one another.

 

1847

Competition Beginnings

In 1847 the first formal Club competition was held on New Year’s Day 1847, a traditional holiday in Scotland, the following year in 1848 the New Year’s Day event was typical. 'During the day the Mechanics’ Golf Club played for their several prizes, and the first was won by George Morris at 109 strokes very good play in any circumstances, but most extraordinary with the Links coveredsome inches with snow. The instrumental band, after perambulating the streets in their very handsome uniform, played up the Club to Hastie’s Cross Keys, where they dined, and spent the evening with toast and song.

 

1848

1848

Handicap Introduction

In 1848 The Club welcomed players of all abilities but though the golf professionals Allan Robertson and Tom Morris did not participate in competitions, less proficient golfers had no chance of winning the medal as it was played for from scratch. There must have been some discussion regarding this for at the meeting on 3rd June 1848 it was agreed that handicaps would be given in all future competitions starting with the next half-yearly medal and a committee was set up to fix handicaps in conjunction with the ordinary committee.
The first medal with handicaps given was held on 30th June 1848.
 

1852

Flying The Flag

Later that month the long awaited flag, which had been proposed as far back as 1848, finally appeared. At a special meeting of the Club held on 23rd January 1852 in the Town Hall, which at the time stood in Market Street where the Whyte Melville Fountain now stands, ‘a considerablenumber of the members, accompanied by their wives and friends being present-the Captain presiding-the Captain stated the object of the meeting, which was in honour of the ladies for giving the Club the flag, and after some fitting remarks he begged to propose a toast to the ladies, which the Secretary, David Thomson, replied to in name of the ladies present, and then handed the flag over to the care of the Captain. After a most agreeable night of harmony the meeting broke up. The flag measured nine feet by six feet, and on a white ground there were in the four corners, a Union Jack, a Scotch Thistle, a Lion Rampant, and St Andrew supporting the Cross. In the centre crossed clubs and balls in blue.

 

1852

Historic First

The first ever competition held under the name of the St Andrews Golf Club was reported in the Fifeshire Journal 8th January 1852, ‘St Andrews Golf Club – The half yearly competition of this society, (formerly called the Mechanics’ Golf Club) took place, as usual, on New Year’s Day.

 

1852

Railway Links

In 1852 the railway reached St Andrews. The line, which linked into the developing rail network at Leuchars, was designed by Thomas Bouch, later Sir Thomas, the man who was to design the original Tay Rail Bridge which collapsed as a train crossed it during a storm on the night of 28th December 1879.

 

1853

Increased Tourism

The coming of the railway had a huge impact on St Andrews increasing its accessibility and consequently its development as a Victorian holiday resort which, in turn, meant an increase in the demands placed on the links. The railway skirted the west side of the links to reach its terminus on the site of what is now the Old Course Hotel where The Jigger Inn, formerly the Station Master’s house, is the only reminder of its existence.

 

1853

1853

Captain Change

At the AGM on Friday 15th September 1853 James Howie retired as Captain and was succeeded in the post by Allan Robertson the most distinguished golfer to hold the captaincy in the history of the Club. The Fifeshire Journal of 22nd September 1853 reported that, ‘St Andrews Golf Club, formerly styled ‘The Mechanics’ Golf Club’-At the annual business meeting of this Society on Friday last, Mr Allan Robertson was unanimously elected Captain for the ensuing year, successor to Mr James Howie, who retired from office.

 

1858

1858

Allan Robertson

On 15th September 1858, Allan Robertson, playing with Mr Bethune of Blebo, completed his round of the links in 79 and became the first player to break 80. Tragically within a year Allan, a stalwart member of the Club from its early days, was dead. It was reported that ‘In the Spring, Allan had an attack of jaundice, proceeding, we believe, from an abnormal state of the liver. He never rallied, and after six months’ weakness, he gradually sunk and died on the first of September. God rest him. He was forty four years old.

 

1863

Prince & Captain

The Prince of Wales had been installed as Captain of the R&A and Robert Forgan a member of the St Andrews Golf Club had been commissioned to make a set of golf clubs for presentation to him. He was granted a Royal Warrant as Club maker to Prince of Wales thereafter the "Prince of Wales" feathers were stamped on the company's clubs, changing to a crown when the Prince ascended to the throne as King Edward VII.

 

1864

1864

Tom Returns

Concern over the state of the links at St Andrews following the death of Allan Robertson led to Tom being headhunted by the R&A to come back to his home town ‘on the understanding that he shall have theentire charge of the golf course and be responsible for it being kept in proper order’ with a salary of £50 a year. His return was welcomed in the Fifeshire Journal 24th November 1864 ‘The green is in excellent condition, and many gentlemen are daily practising their favourite game.

 

1873

First Club Match

The Club played its first match against Carnoustie. This match is now known as the Lindsay Shield.

 

1873

1873

Friendly Relations

A band of Gypsies arrived in St Andrews led by the Gypsy King Mr Thomas Reynolds of Norfolk . It was reported that “Their dignified behaviour, cleanliness and apparent respectability have already established themin good graces with the inhabitants of the town”. The friendly relations were cemented when the “Gypsy King” Mr Thomas Reynolds oered the gift of a timepiece to be played for by members of the St Andrews and Rose Golf Club. The winner was Mr William Ayton.

 

1875

Goodbye Tommy

“Young Tom” Tommy Morris was tragically found dead in his bed on Christmas morning by his father aged only 24.

 

1875

1875

David Todd

In November the Clubs first Captain passed away at his home in South Street from apoplexy at the age of 57.

 

1878

1878

Tommy Morris Tribute

The golfing world paid tribute to the memory of Tommy Morris. Several hundred people made their way to the Cathedral Cemetery where the distinctive memorial Stone was unveiled by MissPhelps on behalf of Mrs Hunter Tommy's only sister. Underneath the figure is the following inscription, composed by Principal Tulloch: In memory of Tommy, son of Thomas Morris, who died 25th December 1875 aged 24 years, deeply regretted by numerous friends and all golfers. He thrice in succession won the Champion Belt, and held it without rivalry, and yet without envy, his many amiable qualities being no less acknowledged than his golfing achievements. This monument has been erected by contributors from sixty golfing societies.

1882

1882

 

1890

1890

R&A Gold Medal 

Alexander “Sandy” Herd became the first winner of the R&A gold Medal in May. He was born in North Street, had been a member of the club from March 1886 and was a staunch supporter of the club all hislife. He got his first job in golf when he was appointed Club professional at Royal Portrush Country Antrim and he was their first professional.

 

1894

Mr William Ayton

On 13th December 1894 a venerable stalwart of the club Mr William Ayton was made a life member of the Club and that all club competitions shall in future be made open to him if he so wished.

 

1897

1897

County Challenge

The club participated in a match perhaps unique in the annals of golf when it took on a county in a match. The challenge came inthe form of a letter from Monifieth Club for Forfarshire to play the St Andrews Golf Club home and away with 25 players each a match to be played in single scratch matches. To understand the task set The St Andrews Golf Club had a membership of 94 members and Forfarshire had 23 clubs and about 4000 players to choose from. The first match took place at Monifieth on 19th June and the return match 7th August. After the match both teams dined and a pleasant hour was spent. Over the two matches The St Andrews Club won by a notable score 123 holes to 30 holes.

 

1900

Lieutenant Freddy 

The new century had barely begun when news reached St Andrews that Lieutenant FG “Freddy” Tait (Black Watch) had been killed in action on 7th February. A member of the R&A . Such was the esteem in which he was held throughout the golfing community that the committee of the St Andrews Golf Club contributed to the Memorial fund organised by the R&A. The memorial took the form of a medal to be played for annually by members of the mens clubs in St Andrews and became the unocial matchplay championship of St Andrews.

 

1901

The End of an Era

On 22nd January the Victoria age came to an end when Queen Victoria passed away. A few months later another era, less momentous but nevertheless significant in the history of the Club the Carnoustie Golf Club defeated the St Andrews Golf Club for the first time.

 

1901

Tait Memorial Medal 

The first competition of the Tait memorial medal. Since then the members of the St Andrews Golf Club have won this medal more than those of any other Club.

 

1902

1902

The Hugon Cup

Victoria was succeeded by her son Edward whose coronation took place in 1902 to commemorate this event it was agreed to get up a subscription list for the coronation cup. In the end a Mr Hugon provided the cup and he give it to be the property of the club. The cup was called the Hugon Cup and the first winner was Joseph Mackie.

 

1902

1902b

Championship First

Alexander “Sandy” Herd won the Open Championship at Royal Liverpool the first time a player had used a haskell ball.

 

1903

1903

Diamond Jubilee Medal

Sum of £7.10 is set aside from the subscription fund to provide a proposed Diamond Jubilee Medal.

1905

1905

1905

A New Home

The Long saga of the search for a Club House came to an end. At a special meeting held on 16th February about a property coming unto the market in Golf Place, the property committee duty met on 2nd March to consider acquiring the property as a club house. At a special meeting on 14th March it was agreed to pursue and purchase and on the 20th March came the words the members had waited to hear for over fifty years “This day the property in Kirk Place was acquired by the Club at the price of £800. Thereafter the Club met in the Clubhouse. The first drink order recorded was for a whisky it was unanimously agreed that an order for a 10 gallon cask of “OH” quality should be placed with John Walker Kilmarnock.

 

1906

1906

Amateur Champion

James Robb brought honour to the Club when he won the Amateur Championship.
 
 

1908

1908

The Last Link

The last link with the very earliest days of the Club was broken with the death of Old Tom Morris on 24th May. He had wandered along to the new club (of which he was an honorary member) about four o'clock in the afternoon to chat with some friends. A few minutes after his arrival he left the club-room, and almost immediately the noise of someone falling was heard from the vicinity of the passage. Old Tom was found in an unconscious condition at the foot of the cellar stair. he was examined by Doctor Paton, who found that the base of the skull had been severely injured. At the cottage Hospital he passed away a few minutes after being admitted.

 

1910

1910

A Fitting Tribute

Following Old Toms death in 1908 a memorial fund was set up and completed in September 1910 from subscriptions from golf clubs around the world. A bronze medallion of a bust of Old Tom was placed on the west gable of the R&A clubhouse.

 

1910

1910b

Guy Campbell Cup

The Club cam into possession of a new trophy when Mr Guy C Campbell intimated that he intended gifting the Club with a medal and Cup. The committee agreed as to the name of the medal and suggested that the Cup be called the Guy Campbell Cup. The medal was to commemorate the Coronation of Geroge V Edward VII who died 6th may 1910. Later that same year the Club was gifted another trophy when a letter was sent from Captain Roland Haig asking the committee to accept a silver Cup.

 

1914

1914

Troubled Times

A fourth course was opened on the Links on 2nd July 1914. Following the opening ceremony a match between the “townsmen and the R&A members took place the precursor of the annual R&A V Town match. While this happy event was taking place the incident which led to World War I had already occurred.

Inter club matches were put on hold.

 

1915

The Supreme Sacrifice

By July 1915 it was intimated that over 40 members of the Club were at present serving in the army and navy. The end of the war came at 11am on 11th November 1918 when the Armistice came into force. The war had cost the lives of 140,000 Scots, and millions worldwide. At the outbreak of the war there were 141 names on the membership roll, and of that 80 had been serving with the colours either in the navy or army. Seven members had made the supreme sacrifice.

 

1919

Tradition Returns

The long standing inter club matches with Carnoustie and Leven Thistle were reinstated.

1919

1919

1920

1920

Charles Grieve

A new trophy came into the possession of the club in August 1920 when a letter from Mrs Kilgour of the late Mr Charles Grieve offering a present a Cup to the Club in memory of her late father to be called the “Charles Grieve Cup”.
 

1921

1921

Jock Hutchinson

On 8th March it is agreed as in 1910 to extend the courtesy of the Club to players in the Open Championship.  Among the professionals in St Andrews for the Open was Jock Hutchison. After the final round Hutchison was in a tie on 296 with Mr R.H. Weathered, the thirty six hole play off was something of an anti climax Hutchison finishing nine shots ahead of his opponent. Hutchison who died in 1977, became an Honorary Vice-president of the St Andrews Golf Club to which he presented the Jock Hutchison Trophy in 1935.

 

1923

Club Symbol

In the 1920s the Club Badge came into being. In 1923 it was also arranged to get a Club Flag.

 

1923

1923

Boys Championship

In March this year it was decided to run a local Boys Golf Championship in connection with the St Andrews Golf Club. In June it was reported that the Boys Championship organised by St Andrews Golf Club was a very successful event and 49 boys had played. It was won by W.Auchterlonie with a brilliant 79.

1923

1923b

 

1925

1925

United Services

In 1925 a letter was received from Mr Geo.  Bayne the secretary of the St Andrews United Services Association asking the St Andrews Golf Club would accept custody of their Silver Cup and run a competition. The Cup was to be known as the United Services memorial Cup.

 

1925

1925b

Life Members

It was decided that all members of the St Andrews Golf Club who have been members for 40 years should automatically become a life members.
 
 
 

1927

Club Flourishing

At the AGM on 24th February 1927 the Secretary and Treasurers Report showed the Club to be in a very flourishing condition with 535 member.

 

1930

1930

Club Championship

W.S.Thomson suggested that a Club Championship be instituted. The Secretary intimated he had had an interview with Mr Denys Kyle who informed him that his mother would like the Club to accept a Cup in Commemoration of Dr Kyle who had been an Honorary Vice President of the Club. The winner of the first Club Championship was Laurie Auchterlonie.

1931

1931

A New Clubhouse

During 1931 the General Committee made a brave and audacious move to secure a new Clubhouse, Links House in its prestigious location overlooking the eighteenth green on the Old Course. On 4th August a letter was read from Mr Cantley intimating that the offer of £2700 for Links House had been duly accepted. On Thursday 25th August the members held an EGM to confirm the action of the General Committee in purchasing Links House.

 

1931

1931b

1933

1933

 

1935

1935

A Kept Promise

In December 1935 a letter dated 15th November from Joch Hutchison intimating that the cup which he had promised the Club for competition was now ready for despatch. Also included was an autographed portrait of himself for the Club.

VIEW MORE IMAGES

 

1937

1937

The James Stewart Coronation Cup

the Captain introduced Mr James Stewart and Mr John Macdonald  for the presentation of the Cups which they had presented to the Club. Mr Stewarts Cup to be known as the Stewart Coronation Cup and Mr Macdonalds as the Seniors Cup.

 

1938

1938

New Club Badge

In September that year the Club decided on a new Club Badge.

 

1939

Return of The Open

The Open was held once again in St Andrews in 1939, this was the last Open Championship for seven years for two months later on 3rd September 1939, Britain declared war on Germany. At the start of the General Committee meeting on 11th September eight days after war was declared the Captain made reference to the outbreak of war, he had arranged to keep the following medals in the safe during the war:- Scratch and Handicap Medals, Aggregate, Monthly, R&A and F.G. Tait, Boys Championship  and Captains Chain. It was arranged to print a full fixture list, less inter-club matches and to carry on competitions as far as possible. 

 

1939

A Successful Decade

The end of the decade dawned the Club could reflect with some satisfaction that it had survived the worst economic recession in history to that date and come out the other side not only with a higher membership but also with a prestigious new Clubhouse.

1943

1943

 

1943

1943b

Centenary and Victory

By 1943 the tide of the war had begun to turn. In March 1943 just before the AGM the Captain intimated that the following telegram had been received from Mr Philp at Gibraltar “heartiest congratulations centenary”

Our centenary this year (1943) required to be put off until later, when it would be a Centenary and Victory function. At the AGM 8th march 1945 it was stated Your Committee is glad that we are now able to look forward to the return of our members presently in the Forces.

 

1946

1946

A Long Connection

In October 1946 the club received a trophy from the family of Mr LB Ayton to commemorate the long connection of the family with the Club since its inception. In April 1947 the Ayton Trophy which had been gifted by Alex Ayton was presented to the Club

 

1947

1947

Golfing History

A piece of golf history came into the hands of the Club in June 1947 when the Secretary reported that Mr Jack White had very kindly offered to send us for our Trophy Case the Haskell Ball with which he had won the 1904 Open.  This was the first time that the 300 strokes had been broken - 296.

 

1949

Subscription Landmark

In 1949 the subscriptions paid totaled 1013, this was the first time the club had broken the 1000 member barrier.

 

1950

Hollywood Star

The following year the Amateur Championship was played on the Old Course, one of the biggest Hollywood stars of that era, Bing Crosby, where his opponent in the first round was to be James K (JK) Wilson of the St Andrews Golf Club.  Next day was cold, grey, and threatened rain as a huge gallery some three thousand strong packed the area around the first fairway to watch the two men tee-off JK Wilson won to the match by 3 and 2, though they continued to play to the 18th for the sake of the crowd.  The chance pairing in the championship led to a lifelong friendship between Bing and JK and when Bing, an elected member of the R & A in 1951, visited St Andrews in 1971 he played a round on the Old Course in the company of JK.  After lunch in the R & A they retired to the St Andrew Golf Club as guests of JK, a Past Captain, while there Bing intimated he would be interested in presenting a trophy for competition for golfers over the age of sixty who where member of St Andrews’ Golf Clubs.  The inaugural Bing Crosby Trophy took place in September 1972 with Bing present for the occasion.

1951

1951

Blazer Badge

The first move towards the provision of a blazer badge appears to have come in February 1951 when an application was received from J.L. Jannetta to obtain a Badge for a Blazer.

 

1953

1953b

James Lindsay Trophy

Moves began with a view to procuring a trophy for the inter-club matches between the St Andrews, Carnoustie and Leven Thistle clubs. At the AGM in 1953 ‘This beautiful trophy presented to the club by the family of the late James Lindsay was on view.  It will be competed for annually in the triangular contest between St Andrews, Leven Thistle and Carnoustie Golf Clubs.  In 1953 St Andrews defeated Carnoustie, as a result the Club became the first holders of the James Lindsay Memorial Trophy.  Mr Lindsay had been a golf professional from St Andrews and was the father of Mr J.L. Lindsay who had captained the University Golf Club.

 
 

1953

1953

The Coronation Medal

King George VI had died in February 1952, the Club made preparations for a competition to mark the assent of his daughter Elizabeth to the throne on 2nd June 1953.  In July 1952 ‘The secretary reported that Mr Forbes, jeweller, Market Street, had offered the Club a golf medal (9carat) for £5, it was decided to purchase this medal and that it should be played for on Coronation Day 1953 in conjunction with the Coronation Cup

1958

1958

1964

1964

 

1970

1970

Robert ‘Bob’ Thomson

The 1970s saw of a run of success in both Scottish and British Police Championships by Robert ‘Bob’ Thomson. He joined the Club in 1960 and went on to win the Club Championship five times between 1969 and 2007.

 

1971

Success

In 1971 the Walker Cup Team Captained by Bonallack was Scott Macdonald a very young, successful member of the St Andrews Golf Club. Scott’s distinguished record was crowned by his selection to represent Great Britain versus United States.
 

1974

1974

The University Match

In 1974 the Ian Ritchie Memorial Trophy was presented for an annual competition between the St Andrews Golf Club and the University of St Andrews Golf Club. The inaugural match took place on 25th October 1975.
 

1975

1975

A Year of Gifts

Was the year for trophies to be presented to the Club. Mrs G.C Auchterlonie supplied a trophy for the John F. Auchterlonie Memorial Trophy which would be played for annual for the Club Junior Championship. The Hamada Trophy was gifted by Zenya Hamada from Japan made from a very fine Norwegian pewter. He had gifted £100000 in 1973 to be used by the benefit of the town. The Rotary International Golf Committee presented a cup for an annual competition between the New Golf Club and ourselves. By mutual agreement with Monifieth a slaver engraved with both club badges was played for firstly in 1976

 

1978

1978

Jack Nicklaus

1978 saw the first player inducted as an Honorary Member since Bobby Jones in 1958 that being Jack Nicklaus a letter of acceptance was received on 4th July 1978. At the end of the second round in the Open Championship Jack went straight to the Golf Club to be presented with his scroll, Nicklaus went on to win the Open that year becoming the first member to win golfs oldest major since Jock Hutchison in 1921. In that Open John Richardson a member of the St Andrews Golf Club finished tied 16th which put his name in the headlined and a toast of the Club.
 

1984

1984

Musselburgh Salver

In 1984 two members Mr A. Smith and Mr I.Highley donated a Silver Salver to the Club for the winners of the mixed foursomes which was named The Musselburgh Salver.

 

1984

1984b

Captains Trophy

A trophy provided by the Club was re-introduced in 1987 it was named the Captains Trophy and was played for as a four ball (better-ball) stroke play competition.

 

1985

1985

W.J.M. Lamond

Mr W.J.M. Lamond, a highly respected member, long serving Honorary Treasurer of the Club and later Honorary President, died suddenly on 12th January. His family decided to present a trophy to the Club in his memory, the trophy to be presented as the Club Championship Silver Section open to second class players only.
 

1987

New Technology

First Computer used in the Club to help with the running of the members handicaps.
 

1988

New Technology

First Badge for the Honorary President of the Club.

 

1990

Sasaki SSK

Club gifted a trophy from messrs Mizukami and Goda of the Haseko Corporation of Japan and it was called the Sasaki SSK Trophy.
 

1990

Honorary Member

At AGM November 1990 the Captain informed the meeting that the committee proposed that Mr Michael F. Bonallack OBE, secretary of the Royal and Ancient Golf Club, be elected Honorary Member of St Andrews Golf Club. The meeting gave their hearty approval of the recommendation.
 

1990

Memorial Trophy

Mrs Alex Fairlie had expressed a wish to present a Memorial Trophy to the Club as her husband had died on the course during a monthly medal. The competition for the trophy was for seniors and this was agreed.

 

1991

Changes

The post of Honorary Secretary disappeared.

 

1993

1993b

Burlington Slate 

1993 The Burlington Slate was first played for.
 

1993

150 Year Anniversary

The Club celebrated its 150 anniversary and the hard work put in by the 150th committee over the years from its first meeting in 1987 ensured a wide ranging programme of events was in place to celebrate the event.  Principle among these were a moonlight match played over the Old Course on 28th June. One hundred and fifty members of the Club played against golfers representing every golf club in Fife and Clubs which the Club had a long association. The match was won by St Andrews.
 

1993

1993

John Cairns Painting

John Cairns a club member and former art teacher painted a portrait of the Clubs first Captain, David Todd to be hung in the entrance hall of the Clubhouse. The Royal Burgh of St Andrews Community Council presented a specially commissioned 150th Flag to the Club on 27th March.

 

1994

Dr Duncan Lawrie

Dr Duncan Lawrie became the first member of the Club to win the Scottish Seniors title and his son Philip made it a special year for the family when he won the Club Championship.

 

1995

1995

Akitsubara Golf Club

The Club entered into an informal association with Akitsubara Golf Club a new Japanese Golf Club near Osaka.
VIEW MORE
 

1998

Membership Milestone

Club membership climbed above 2000 for the first time in its history.

 

1999

Honorary Member

1999 6th October Mr Paul Lawrie having previously agreed to accept the invitation, visited the Club. In the presence of a large number of members including Sir Michael Bonallack to be presented with a scroll by the Captain signifying receiving Honorary Membership of the Club.
 

2003

2003

Lindsay Shield

2003 would be the 50th anniversary of the Lindsay Shield being introduced as a trophy for the annual match against Carnousite and Leven Thistle Golf Clubs. A special commemorative medal was struck. The Captain made a special presentation of a hand engraved glass to Alastair Johnston who had played in both the inaugural and 50th anniversary matches.

 

2004

R&A 50th Anniversary

The R&A celebrated its 250th anniversary and on 10th September 2004 the St Andrews Golf Club hosted a double Celebratory Dinner in recognition of the 125th anniversary of Jamie Anderson winning the Open at St Andrews in 1879 by which he became the first golfer to win three consecutive Open Championships each on a different course and of the 250th anniversary of the founding of the R&A.
 

2004

Scottish Boys Champion

F.McL. Ogston became the first member of the club to win the Scottish Boys under 14 stroke play Championship.

 

2006

Honorary Professional

Club Member Jim Farmer a distinguished teaching Professional was appointed Honorary Professional to the R&A. 
 

2009

Under 14 Open Winner

E.S.Scott won the English Boys Under 14 Open.

2011

2011

2014

2014

Cast in Bronze

The Club committee provided two trophies. Cast in bronze, they depict two of the club’s most seminal and respected 19th century characters who helped shape the sport in St Andrews and forge the town’s indisputable reputation as the home of golf. The stunning 17 inch-high mounted portrait figures of David Todd the first Captain and Allan Robertson the first professional. The David Todd Trophy will go to the leading handicap qualifier in the “Jock Hutch” and the Allan Robertson Trophy will be awarded to the leading two-round scratch qualifier in the Club Championship.Armed initially with only with the grainy, monochrome images of the duo – photographic studio poses from the 1850s Angela Hunter the Sculptress set about her task. The end result are two of the most fantastic trophies anywhere in the world to be awarded for amateur golf

 

 

 


 

 

Honorary Members

Jack Nicklaus

Sir Michael Bonallack

Paul Lawrie

Bobby Jones

 

Champions

The St. Andrews Golf Club is proud to have been the breeding ground for many champions including:

 

The Open

Tom Morris 1861, 1862, 1864, 1867

Andrew Strath 1865

Tom Morris jnr 1868, 1869, 1870, 1872

Tom Kidd 1873

Bob Martin 1876, 1885

Jamie Anderson 1877, 1878, 1879

Willie Fernie 1883

Jack Burns 1888

Hugh Kirkcaldy 1891

Willie Auchterlonie 1893

Alex Herd 1902

Jock Hutchison 1921

 

The American Open

J Foulis 1896

Fred Herd 1898

Laurie Auchterlonie 1902

 

The South African Open

L R Walters 1903, 1904, 1907, 1920

 

The Amateur

P C Anderson 1893

James Robb 1906

 

The American Amateur

Findlay Douglas 1898

 

The Scottish Amateur

Ken Grieg 1930

 

 

How Did I Do

Europes largest golfing community.
Check your current ranking
and handicap online.

View

Old Course Ballot

Sign up for the Old Course ballot,
drawn two days ahead of play, except for
Sundays and tournament days.

View

Contact

Links House, 13 The Links, St Andrews,
Fife, KY16 9JB

sec@thestandrewsgolfclub.co.uk
+44 (0) 1334 479799

 

headerborder3
Home   Privacy Policy   Site Map   Old Course Ballot   Member Login    Site designed by Greybridge
© 2014 The St Andrews Golf Club, Fife, Scotland. All Rights Reserved