The St Andrews Golf Club - Welcome 2014
In St. Andrews on the 29th September, 1843, William Ayton, Cabinet maker; Alexander Carstairs, Cabinet maker; Alexander Bruce, Cabinet maker; James Herd, Mason; John Keddie, joiner; John Lynn, Tailor; Adam McPherson, Plasterer; James McPherson, Dancing Master; George Morris, Butler, Robert Paterson, Slater, and David Todd, junior, Painter met to form themselves into a Golfing Society.
It was proposed and agreed that this Society should be immediately constituted as the St. Andrews Mechanics' Golf Club.
A. Carstairs, cabinet maker, proposed that D. Todd, jun, painter, should be made Captain of the Club for the first year. This was duly seconded and then unanimously agreed.
According to Andrews Bennett's Centenary history of the Club, the then Secretary, Mr James Howie, persuaded the members to change the name of the club to The St. Andrews Golf Club in 1851.
The St. Andrews Golf Club of today occupies a substantial Victorian mansion overlooking the 18th green of the Old Course.